Step 4: Update Method Instructions for Shared Network Method
With this method, Z-Flash connects to the existing external Z-Wave interface (SmartStick+, UZB stick, Z-Stick, Z-NET) and devices are updated using the primary Z-Wave network. This method is recommended for HomeTroller HS3 Software, HomeTroller-SEL and HomeTroller S6. May also be used for other systems with external Z-Wave interfaces including OpenHab, Home Assistant, Indigo, etc... Click here to learn more about other update methods.
Gather Information About The Devices You Wish To Update
Make a list of the devices you wish to update and collect as much of the following information as possible for each device. Since Z-Flash will have access to only this information, this list will help you to match firmware updates to the correct device(s).
- Z-Wave node number
- Device ID
- Device type
- Firmware version
Prepare Your Primary Z-Wave Network for use with Z-Flash
- If your system consists of smart home software (like HomeSeer HS3) running on a Windows PC, shut that software down and install Z-Flash onto the same PC.
- If your system consists of smart home software running on a Mac or Linux computer (like a Raspberry Pi), shut that down and remove the USB Z-Wave interface from it. Install Z-Flash onto a Windows PC (laptop is recommended) and attach the USB Z-Wave interface to it.
Initialize Z-Wave Interface and Load Z-Wave Devices to Update
- Launch Z-Flash. If your Z-Wave interface is a USB dongle, select "USB Z-Wave Interface" from the Interface menu and select the COM port that your Z-Wave interface is connected to. If you're unsure of the COM port setting, use the Windows Device Manager to determine the correct setting. If your Z-Wave interface is a Z-NET, select "HomeSeer Z-NET Ethernet" and enter the IP address of your Z-NET.
- Click the Enable button to initialize the interface and check the log for any errors. Z-Flash will now parse through the information on your USB interface and assemble a list of devices that support OTA updates. This list will contain only the information stored in the USB interface and will not contain device names, locations and any other information assigned to the device by your smart home system.
Update Firmware on Device(s)
- Click on the device you wish to update in the "Devices" list. If you have multiple devices of the same type to update, Ctrl-Click each to select them all at once. Then, open the "File" menu in Step 3. If there is a firmware update in the Z-Flash library for your product, you can select it from this list. Otherwise, choose the "Select File.." option and locate the file on your computer. If you don't already have this, contact the device manufacturer to obtain the OTA firmware file.
IMPORTANT: If the OTA firmware file is correctly configured by the manufacturer, Z-Flash will prevent you from using it with the wrong device. However, we cannot guarantee the integrity of OTA files from other manufacturers. As such, be very careful to use the correct OTA file for your device. Installing incorrect firmware onto your device may render it permanently inoperable.
- Click "Start Update" in Step 4 to begin the update process. For some devices (like HomeSeer wall dimmers or switches), this is all you need to do. Other devices may need to be manually authenticated to accept the firmware update. If that's the case with your device, press the button on the device and click "Start Update" again. Update "Status" will display in this step and will show the bytes of data being transferred to the device. Once complete, status will change to "Finished".
Note: The update process may take several minutes to complete. If the update fails or times out, position your Z-Flash PC closer to the device and try again.
Move Device(s) Back to Primary Z-Wave Network
- After your devices have been updated, you'll need to exclude them from your Z-Flash network and include them back into your primary Z-Wave network. Select the device in the Z-Flash "Devices" list and click the "Remove Device" button. Then, start the exclusion process on the Z-Wave device that's been updated. Wait for this to finish. This should only take a moment.
- Access the web interface or mobile app for your smart home system and include the updated device back into your primary Z-Wave network.
- You'll need to edit your automation Scenes/Events/Robots/Rules that include the updated device.