Step 4a: Update Method Instructions for Independent Network Method
With this method, devices are first removed (excluded) from the primary Z-Wave network and then added (included) into a separate network for use with Z-Flash. After updates are complete, these devices are excluded from the Z-Flash network and included back into the primary Z-Wave network. This method is recommended for SmartThings, Wink and other systems that DO NOT reveal low level device information such as Z-Wave node numbers. May also be used for situations where Secondary Controller and Shared Network Methods can't be used. Click here to learn more about other update methods.
Exclude Device(s) to be Updated from your Primary Z-Wave Network
- Access the web interface or app you normally use to control your system and use the procedure that required to exclude the device to be updated from your primary Z-Wave network. This procedure will vary from system to system so refer to the manual or help file that's included with your system.
Create Z-Flash Z-Wave Network and Include Device(s) to be Updated
- Your Z-Flash kit includes a USB Z-Wave interface (SmartStick+ or UZB stick). Insert that into a free USB port on your PC.
- Launch Z-Flash and in Step 1, select "USB Z-Wave Interface" from the Interface menu and select the COM port that your Z-Wave interface is connected to. If you're unsure of the COM port setting, use the Windows Device Manager to determine the correct setting.
- Click the Enable button to initialize the interface and check the log for any errors.
- By default, the USB interface included with your kit contains no data and the "Devices" list should now be empty. If you did not purchase the Z-Flash kit and are using your own USB Z-Wave interface, you may see some devices in the list. You'll need to erase this interface first before proceeding. If you don't wish to do this, contact HomeSeer to purchase another USB interface. Otherwise, click the "Erase Interface" button to clear all the data from your USB interface.
- Now it's time to include the device(s) to be updated into your new Z-Flash Z-Wave network. To do so, click the green "Add Device" button to put Z-Flash into inclusion mode and then start the inclusion process on the Z-Wave device you wish to update. If you're unsure how to do this, refer to the manual for your device to find the proper inclusion procedure. For HomeSeer wall dimmers or switches, you'll only need to tap the paddle (top or bottom) once. Your device should appear in the Devices list once inclusion is complete. Repeat this process for all other devices you wish to update.
Note: If you have difficulty including a device, you may be too far from the device for reliable communications or the device may need to be reset to factory defaults. To reset the device, click the "Remove Device" button in Z-Flash and then start the exclusion process on the device. Then try inclusion again. If this fails again, re-position the PC or the device so that they're closer together. Installing Z-Flash on a laptop allows for the most flexibility with inclusion.
Update Firmware on Device(s)
- Click on the device you wish to update in the "Devices" list. If you have multiple devices of the same type to update, Ctrl-Click each to select them all at once. Then, open the "File" menu in Step 3. If there is a firmware update in the Z-Flash library for your product, you can select it from this list. Otherwise, choose the "Select File.." option and locate the file on your computer. If you don't already have this, contact the device manufacturer to obtain the OTA firmware file.
IMPORTANT: If the OTA firmware file is correctly configured by the manufacturer, Z-Flash will prevent you from using it with the wrong device. However, we cannot guarantee the integrity of OTA files from other manufacturers. As such, be very careful to use the correct OTA file for your device. Installing incorrect firmware onto your device may render it permanently inoperable.
- Click "Start Update" in Step 4 to begin the update process. For some devices (like HomeSeer wall dimmers or switches), this is all you need to do. Other devices may need to be manually authenticated to accept the firmware update. If that's the case with your device, press the button on the device and click "Start Update" again. Update "Status" will display in this step and will show the bytes of data being transferred to the device. Once complete, status will change to "Finished".
Note: The update process may take several minutes to complete. If the update fails or times out, position your Z-Flash PC closer to the device and try again.
Move Device(s) Back to Primary Z-Wave Network
- After your devices have been updated, you'll need to exclude them from your Z-Flash network and include them back into your primary Z-Wave network. Select the device in the Z-Flash "Devices" list and click the "Remove Device" button. Then, start the exclusion process on the Z-Wave device that's been updated. Wait for this to finish. This should only take a moment.
- Access the web interface or mobile app for your smart home system and include the updated device back into your primary Z-Wave network.
- You'll need to edit your automation Scenes/Events/Robots/Rules that include the updated device.