100 Series Switch/Dimmer Installation
RISK OF FIRE | RISK OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK | RISK OF BURNS
DO NOT USE THIS SWITCH TO CONTROL ANYTHING THAT MAY PRESENT A HAZARD WHEN CONTROLLED REMOTELY OR USED IN AN UNATTENDED FASHION. DO NOT USE WITH MEDICAL AND LIFE SUPPORT INSTRUMENTS.
CAUTION: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF OVERHEATING AND POSSIBLE DAMAGE TO OTHER EQUIPMENT, DO NOT INSTALL TO CONTROL A RECEPTACLE, A MOTOR-OPERATED APPLIANCE, A FLUORESCENT LIGHTING FIXTURE, OR A TRANSFORMER-SUPPLIED APPLIANCE.
- Shut off power to the circuit at the circuit breaker or fuse box. VERIFY power is OFF before continuing!
- Remove existing switch’s wall plate and mounting screws. Carefully remove the existing switch from the electrical box but leave the wires connected.
- There may be up to five wires connected to the existing switch. Make note of these wires and label, if necessary, to ensure correct installation of the HS-WD100+. You will need to match these wires with the corresponding screw terminals on the HS-WD100+. Note: LINE, NEUTRAL and LOAD wires are required for every installation
LINE (Hot) - Black (connected to power)
NEUTRAL - White (this wire is often tied to other neutral wires and may require a jumper to connect with the HS-WD100+)LOAD - Black (connected to load)
GROUND — Green or Bare
TRAVELER — Red/Other (only used in 3-way circuits)
- Disconnect the wires from the existing switch and attach those wires to the HS-WD100+ using the screw terminal connectors on the back with the following procedure
- Strip 16 mm (5/8”) insulation from each wire*.
- With a screw driver, loosen each screw terminal by rotating the screw counter-clockwise a few turns until resistance is felt.
- There are two holes on the back of the switch near each screw terminal. Insert the stripped wire into one of these holes and tighten the screw terminal to secure the connection. Connections should be snug.
*all wires should be 14 AWG or larger rated at 80°C or higher. Tightening torque should be 12 lbf-in (14kgf-cm).
- Carefully install the wired switch back into the electrical box and reattach the trim plate.