How-to configure weather for your HSTouch default client.
The HS3 software previously included a free weather API key which allowed HS3Touch users to get weather updates in the app from the Weather section. Unfortunately, this API key has been closed down so users must find a different API key to continue getting weather updates in the app. Fortunately, we have found a free replacement and the instructions for using that are as follows:
- Visit openweathermap.org. Along the top of the page, you will see several sections such as Weather, Maps, Guide, and API. Click on API.
- There is a brief description at the top of this page regarding the site and their API's. Click the sign up link and create an account.
- Once your account is created, you will be asked about your usage of the API. Enter HomeSeer as the company name and for purpose, select Other. Click Save.
- Now that you are logged in, you will see several sections under the OpenWeather logo and name, starting with New Products. Click API keys, where you will see a key generated already. This key will also be sent to you in an email. Copy the key, then navigate to the HS3 web interface from find.homeseer.com or myhs.homeseer.com.
- In HS3, navigate to Tools > Setup, then click the Network tab. Near the bottom of the page, locate the HSTouch Settings section. The fifth and final option here is Weather API key. Click the text field here to open a small pop-up, then paste the API key you copied in step 4. Click Submit.
Weather forecasts should now update in HS3Touch! If the app was running previously, make sure to completely close the app and re-open it fresh. This can be done in Android by pressing the square button and in iOS you can double-press the home button. This will show all currently-running apps, so slide away HS3Touch to close it.
You should now have up-to-date weather forecasts in HS3Touch! If you run into any issues or have any questions, feel free to contact us.