This integration allows HomeSeer users to control their devices and device features with simple commands using Amazon's Smart Home skill API. This implementation supports ON, OFF, DIM and THERMOSTAT devices for direct control and users can create Routines to control other devices with custom phrases. Users who wish to also launch events or control other devices should consider enabling our Home Automation Skill as well.
Voice Command Syntax Samples
- “Alexa, turn off the kitchen light”
- “Alexa, set the thermostat to 65 degrees”
- “Alexa, dim the porch light to 50%”
- "Alexa, open the garage door" (Routine)
- HomeSeer HS4 System (HomeTroller or computer running HS4 software)
- MyHS Remote Access Service
- Amazon Alexa-powered device(s) (Echo, Fire Tablet or similar)
You'll need to add a user account to your HS4 system with your MyHS credentials and you'll need to enable Admin and Local permissions for this account. Once that's done, you'll need to enable voice commands for the HomeSeer devices or device features you wish to control with Alexa. Note that if you have multiple HomeSeer systems and a Premium MyHS account, you'll need to create unique MyHS users for each system. Please follow the steps outlined in this doc: Using Alexa with Multiple HS Systems. Then, follow the steps below:
Add MyHS User Account to HS4
Open your HomeSeer system's web interface and navigate to Setup > Users. Add a new user with your MyHS account credentials. Enable Admin and Local permissions.
Enable Voice Commands for HS4 Devices or Features
Devices must be manually enabled for voice commands in order to be discovered by Alexa. In HS4, it's possible to enable root devices or features. To enable voice commands, navigate to the settings for the root device or for the feature, and tick the Voice Command Enabled checkbox:
Use the guide below to determine which method is best for your specific devices and then check the Voice Command Enabled checkbox in the settings for the root device or for the feature(s). Use the appropriate option below depending on the type of device you wish to control.
|Enable Root Devices||Enable Features||Enable Root Device & Features|
|Use this option for devices that have only one controllable feature or only a controllable root device.||Use this option for devices that have more than one controllable feature.||This duplicates "Enable Root Devices" option.|
|If the root device is enabled for voice, the discovered device will use the root name and will only control either the root device or the first controllable feature. In the example above, the Dimmer will be controlled and it will appear like this in Alexa:||If the root device is disabled for voice, and the feature are enabled, the discovered device(s) will use the feature names and every controllable feature will be controlled. In the example above, the Candle Lights & the Sofa Lights will be controlled they will appear like this in Alexa:||If the root device and features are checked, the features will be ignored and the discovery will work as if only the root device was checked. In the example above, only the Candle Lights will be controlled and it will appear like this in Alexa:|
Smart Home Skill Setup
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile device or visit https://alexa.amazon.com from your web browser and sign in to your Amazon account.
- Click or tap Skills or Skills & Games and search for HomeSeer.
- Select HomeSeer SmartHome Skill and click Enable.
- Our MyHS login page will appear. Enter your credentials and click Log In.
- Close the login window and click Discover Devices.
- Alexa will take a moment to find all the voice-enabled devices and will then list them.
After device discovery is complete, you should be able to control any discovered voice by using any combination of its name and location. For example, if the discovered device is First Floor Living Room Candle Lights, the following commands should work:
- "Alexa, turn on the Candle Lights"
- "Alexa, turn on the Living Room Candle Lights"
- "Alexa, turn on the First Floor Living Room Candle Lights"
If for any reason, you can't control your devices after discovery, here are a few things to check:
- Make sure MyHS is connected to your system. Navigate to myhs.homeseer.com and log into your account. Access your system.
- Make sure Alexa is working. Talk to your Alexa device to ensure the service is working.
- Check your Internet connection.
If everything is working but you still can't control devices, open a service desk ticket for help.